Although it is a great time to sell a home, the experience of home selling has changed somewhat because of the pandemic. We would like to share our top 8 tips for selling a home during the pandemic, which will maximize your experience and price.
- Limit touch points: Homebuyers who are concerned about COVID-19 will have a better experience if they can walk your home without touching anything. Turn on lights and opening closet doors, especially the master bedroom closet.
- Turn unused space into a home gym or office: Prior to coronavirus, many hadn’t considered the importance of having a dedicated workspace that promotes productivity while remaining separate from their day-to-day lives. However, now people have begun to recognize the value of additional space.
- Clean Your Home and Keep it Clean: A clean home will impress potential buyers much more than a dirty home in 2020. You should have your home cleaned by a professional, and then you should keep it clean. Get rid of any smells from pets, smoke, cooking or any other odd odor, as well.
- Boost your home’s curb appeal: Before booking a tour, agents are taking their buyers on preliminary showings to highlight the surrounding neighborhood, street, and exterior of a home they’re interested in. So spend a quarantined weekend sprucing up your curb appeal to impress any buyers who may do a drive-by.
- Be ready to adapt: If 2020 has taught us anything so far, it is that we need to adapt quickly to the current circumstances. Outbreaks of COVID-19 are slowing down title offices, appraisers, and home inspectors, Bureau of Indian Affairs, county recording office. During these difficult times, expect delays and be flexible when it comes to scheduling a closing, executing contracts, and closing the deal.
- Stage Your Outdoor Living Space: Outdoor living spaces have been moving up on buyers’ wish list’s. The style of your outdoor living space should ideally fit in with the style and design of the rest of your home. Furniture choices, color palettes, and bonus features can all be designed to match your home’s aesthetic. Whether your home is modern, mid century modern, transitional, or classic, there are a variety of design and decoration options to help you stage your outdoor living space so it’s just what potential buyers want to see.
- Hire local Real Estate Agent: Hire a real estate agent with a broad online marketing program, which includes a 3D tour, Facebook tour, video, and plenty of photos. Many buyers do not want to fly, and with modern technology and a good Palm Springs realtor there is really no need to make a trip to Coachella Valley to purchase a home.
- Do not wait: There are home sellers who put off listing their home because they are waiting for the highest point in the market. No one knows or understands what the future holds and holding off on selling a home, banking on a higher return later is dangerous — just as the folks discovered in 2006. The right time to sell is when you are ready to move on with your life.
If you are contemplating selling your home, now is a good time because inventory is low. Hopefully, these 8 tips will help you maximize your price.